hammer my bones

My sister, and my mother, can't debate.
Me: Eh, Jordan can't play anymore.
MJ: He could beat you in a game.
Ad hominem.
Me: Yes he could. What does that have to do with it?
MJ. He can beat you!
Circular reasoning./Begging the question.
Me: Explain: What does my inability to beat him in a game of basketball have anything to do with my ability to judge the quality of his playing? I'm not qualified to be Prime Minister, but the law says I'm qualified to judge who is.
MJ: Actually1, the law says you're qualified to choose.
Me: I have to judge to choose.
Semantics.
MJ: [lip curls slightly]Jonathan...don't even try.
An earlier arguement with my mother;
Mum: [agitated]You always disagree with everthing I tell you to do!
Me: No I don't.
Mum: See! You're doing it now!
Me: Because you're wrong.
Mum: My point is that you always disagree with me!
Me: No I don't!
Mum: There you go again!
[repeat]

It was eerily similar to the arguement's in Bill Cosby's "Love and Marriage".2
Cmille: That's not my point!
Bill: Then what are you saying?
Camille: I'm saying that that's not my point!
Mind you, this isnt just my sister's go-to arguement, it's basically her only arguement. Which is kinda sad, if you think about it. Especially considering that she has better grades that I did at her level.

1.She always says this. Always.
2. No Amazon link here, folks. Move along.

//in the anvil of daylight

0 comments

Post a Comment

home